LIKES TO BRING
SOMETIMES THERE'S DANCING.
Sam Pinkleton is a Tony Award-nominated director, choreographer, creative director, organizer, and educator. Born and raised in small town Virginia, his recent work includes the club experience Untitled DanceShowPartyThing (with Ani Taj), the world premiere of Jeanine Tesori and David Henry Hwang’s Pulitzer Prize Finalist Soft Power, and the youth-led civic spectacular Runaways in Central Park. Other favorite collaborations include work with the Dutch National Opera, the NYC Department of Education, Courtney Love, Carnegie Hall, James Corden, BAM, Soho Rep, Anne Washburn, The Dance Cartel, Virgin Voyages, The Civilians, David Adjmi, Swing Left, Deutsche Oper Berlin, Pig Iron Theater Company, Cirque du Soleil, and the late Liz Swados and Michael Friedman. His work on Broadway includes Natasha, Pierre, and the Great Comet of 1812 - starring Josh Groban and Denée Benton. He is currently a lecturer at Princeton University. The New York Times has described his work as “how the Ramones might have danced if Bob Fosse choreographed them.” He does not own any dance shoes.
SAM PINKLETON IS A TONY AWARD-NOMINATED DIRECTOR, CHOREOGRAPHER, CREATIVE DIRECTOR, ORGANIZER, AND EDUCATOR CREATING WORK THAT BELIEVES BETTER WORLDS ARE POSSIBLE.
While the recent past has mostly been about <gestures wildly>, here are some things that have managed to bring Real Joy:
- ❉ Making a virtual dance party for Swing Left and Stacey Abrams in collaboration with Ani Taj
- ❉ Creating LITTLE SHOWS ABOUT DEATH at Princeton University, a rowdy online archive of short-form content that reckons with our collective and ongoing experience of death + disappointment, in collaboration with Stacey Derosier, Ada Westfall, Victoria Davidjohn, and a cohort of truly bonkers students [Just holler for the password, nobody is trying to get sued]
- ❉ Making a video in the desert with Courtney Hoffman and The Bengsons with a lot of swirly dancing.
- ❉ Raising lots of support for the extraordinary Christina Haswood (now elected in KS-10!!) with certified GeniusLarissa FastHorseand wonderperson Maya Quetzali Gonzalez.
- ❉ Working with the entertainment community to raise over half a million dollars forCovenant House Stage + Screen Sleepout(which can always use your support!)
NOT EVERYTHING IS TRASH.